For the Budding Cook (in me) !
I never cooked until I came to the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave aka USA. 4 years of undergrad – i had the hostel mess – 2 years of working in Hyderabad, i had the company canteen for the afternoons and mouth watering Hyderabadi Byranis for the night times🙂. After coming to US, i must say i have become pretty good a cook. From veg byrani to chapatis, from chicken 65 to shrimp – i have started cooking and it has become a hobby – i am slowly beginning to like cooking. So below are some of the tips i learnt as “Entry Level Cook” . Most of them are from you-tube videos and cooking websites – if you have any thing to share please do so
1. To make onions cook faster – put a small amount of salt when frying onions
2. While cutting onions, to avoid tears either chew a gum or light a candle in front of you
3. To slice meat into thin strips, as for Chinese dishes – partially freeze and it will slice easily.
4. Microwave a lemon for 15 seconds and double the juice you get before squeezing.
5. Microwave garlic cloves for 15 seconds and the skins slip right off.
6. When mincing garlic, sprinkle on a little salt so the pieces won’t stick to your knife or cutting board.
7. To keep potatoes from budding, place an apple in the bag with the potatoes.
8. If you need only 1/2 an onion, save the root half. It will last longer.
9. To detect rotten egg, hold the egg near your ears and shake it – if you hear a sound then its mostly not good. Perfect eggs do not make any sound